Tuesday, May 10, 2011

THE LITTLE GREEN GUY

I haven't had much to blog lately, but I had an adventure with Kade that was too cute not to share!
Recently, Kade and I had made a trip to the barn for something. As we were about to return to the house, I picked up some empty feed bags to take to the trash. Underneath the bags was a lifeless little ruby-throated hummingbird. I picked it up to show Kade. The hummer twitched just a little as I held him. I explained to Kade that the cats may have played with him and he might not make it. Kade's response was, "Bless his little heart, Mimi, we have to save him!"
Well, who could tell him no! After examination, I found no evidence of a scuffle with the cats so I put the little fellow in Kade's hands. I told Kade that the hummer might be cold and for him to snuggle him to keep him warm while we rode back to the house. When we got to the house, we wrapped the hummer in a warm towel and put him on the counter. I mixed some nectar out of sugar and water and we began holding droplets of the nectar over his little beak. After a few minutes, I noticed his throat move...he was drinking! Soon, out came the tongue and he began to really take in the food. His eyes were still closed and he wasn't moving much. Then he suddenly opened his eyes...looked at Kade and then me. He soon started to wiggled and I told Kade that we had saved him and that we needed to set him free since he was a wild bird. That went over as you would expect! "But Mimi, I love the little green guy!"
Somehow during the argument, the little green guy escaped and was flying around the kitchen (with 12-foot ceilings). I knew from past experiences with hummers trapped in the garage or barn that I didn't have a chance of catching him. Kade thought it was great having him in the house. Fortunately, I was saved! The little green guy landed on a silk flower arrangement in a cubby over the refrigerator. I was able to get a stool and move the arrangement to the counter. The bird flew over to the window and got behind the wooden blinds and couldn't get out. Got him! So...I again explained to Kade that the little guy needed to go outside. We took him out on the front porch and off he flew to a tall oak tree. Then came the meltdown! He loved the little green guy and wanted to keep him! I was able to calm Kade down by putting nectar in the hummingbird feeder and letting him put it up on the hook.
Here are the pictures I took...
I am so blessed to get to share experiences like this with Kade! Being a grandparent is great!

No comments: